What is a Groundworker?
Groundwork is an integral part of any construction project. Groundworkers are one of the first tradespeople you would call to start work on a construction site. Their primary responsibility is to prepare the ground before and throughout a project.
Groundworkers have a varied role, but alongside preparing the ground for a project they will also be responsible for:
- Preparing the sub-surfaces for structural work
- Installing drainage systems
- Kerbing, paving, and concreting
- Carrying out de-vegetation
- Interpreting design specifications
Our Groundworks Apprenticeship is 18 months long and is open to anyone living in England.
For the first 3 weeks of the programme, apprentices will attend AccXel full time. In this initial block of training you will receive basic health and safety training, inductions and support training prior to starting work on site.
Following this mandatory training block, apprentices will attend AccXel one day a week for the duration of the course.*
By the end of the apprenticeship, you will gain an NVQ in Groundworks, and will have the requisite qualifications to obtain the Skilled Worker CSCS card (subject to passing the Health, Safety and Environment Test).
*Please note that there will be another 3-week block training period mid-way through the apprenticeship.
What topics does the apprenticeship cover?
- Construction of roads and sewers
- Building housing a commercial foundation
- Installation of utilities
- Hard landscaping (e.g., patios)
- Understanding types of ground and materials
- Water management
- Domestic drainage
- Understanding technical drawings
- Health and safety
- Traffic management and banksman duties
- Operating and working alongside heavy plant / machinery
- Cable detection & ground penetration radar
- Confined space awareness
Committed employer partners
Small class size
State of the art technology
Practical experience on mock live site
Industry experienced teachers
How to become an AccXel Apprentice
Submit an online application form
Attend an Assessment Day
Be interviewed by prospective employer
Start your apprenticeship at AccXel!
Get in touch